Michelin-starred chef Marcus Wareing thrives on the high pressure of restaurant cooking, but is chilled when entertaining at home. Follow his lead and prepare ahead with his barbecued-inspired dinner party menu.
Menu for 8
Cucumber, mint and elderflower
Barbecued fruits de mer
Aromatic poached and
Sweetcorn, chorizo and
toasted almond salad
Gin and tonic granita
and mascarpone trifles
The get-ahead time plan
1. The day before, make the granita and the trifles. Make the base for the cocktails and chill overnight.
2. On the day, before your guests arrive, poach the chicken.
3. While the chicken is being poached, prepare the ingredients for the fruits de mer and the summer veg; parboil the corn.
4. Before you’re ready to start the cooking, light the barbecue.
5. Cook the garlic for the summer veg and the fruits de mer, then make their sauces/marinades.
6. Blacken the sweetcorn on the barbecue, finish the sweetcorn salad and set aside.
7. Chargrill the vegetables, finish the dish and set aside.
8. Barbecue the chicken, then set aside somewhere warm to rest, loosely covered in foil.
9. Start the dinner party with the Champagne cocktails.
10. Barbecue the seafood and serve.
11. Serve the chicken and side dishes followed by the granita.
12. Finish off with the trifles.