Skip to navigation
Skip to page content
Find a recipe for every occasion
Do you want to know the secrets to a successful party? It's all in the planning, and the availability of food and copious amounts of drink. Read more here...
1. The secret to a successful party is planning every detail in advance. Remember to give your friends plenty of notice and think about the kind of food you want to serve, taking into account the tastes and ages of your guests.
2. If you’re just having a drinks party, count on six to eight savoury nibbles per person.
3. Once the party has started, keep all cold drinks cool. At a small soirée, keep all bottles except reds in the fridge between servings. For a bigger bash, get some party ice, and use proper ice buckets, or invest in clean plastic buckets to store the drinks.
4. If you have forgotten to chill the whites, put in a wine bucket with ice, water and a handful of salt. This solution has a lower freezing point than water alone, so the temperature will fall below zero.
5. Remember teetotallers, drivers and pregnant friends. Buy some interesting drinks such as elderflower pressé and old-fashioned lemonade, or make a lemon cordial.
6. The amount that people will typically drink varies from person to person, and how much booze you’ll need depends on the sort of gathering you’re having. As a general rule, though, allow around half to three-quarters of a bottle of wine per person.
Got a crowd coming? Need some advice on how to prepare all your drinks for the rabble? Our top tips will light your way...
Our nifty nibbles and classy cocktails will get your party started in no time. Whether you're handing out Mini Yorkshires or giving your guests a Hot Caribbean kiss, everyone will feel thoroughly indulged by this decadent spread.
Please register or sign-in to leave a comment. We’d love to hear what you think.
Take out a subscription to delicious. magazine this month and we’ll send you a copy of Paul Hollywood’s latest cookbook, British Baking (worth £25.00), absolutely FREE.
delicious. mag recipe index
For those loyal delicious. readers who keep their magazines each month, you may find our downloadable recipe index useful...
delicious. shopping lists
Download these handy shopping lists from everyday delicious. In every month's issue: Everything you need for delicious shortcut suppers.
Cooking conversion tables
In this handy section, you'll find oven temperatures, weights for dry ingredients, liquid measures and tablespoon conversions for the UK, US and Australia – all in one tidy place.