- 2 (about 500g) Bramley apples
- 500g British pears
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 85g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp rosewater
For the topping
- 115g butter, softened
- 115g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 100g self-raising flour
- 75g ground almonds
- 3 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/fan160°c/gas 4. Peel, core and chop the apples and pears and put into a bowl with the lemon juice. Add the sugar and the rosewater and mix thoroughly, then tip into a 1.5-litre pie dish.
- Make the topping. In a large bowl, beat the butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy. In another bowl, mix together the flour and almonds. Beat a third of the eggs into the butter, then a third of the flour mixture. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up. Add the almond extract and spread over the fruit – it doesn’t matter if there are a few holes. Bake for 50 minutes or until the topping has risen into a golden sponge. Sprinkle with extra sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.
- You can use concord, comice or conference pears to make this recipe.