75g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
300ml skimmed milk
125g oat bran (from health food shops and Waitrose)
75g light muscovado sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
60g wholemeal flour
125g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 tbsp raisins soaked in 2 tbsp rum or orange juice
25g pecan nuts, toasted and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Grease a 12-hole muffin tray with a little butter. Put the milk and oat bran in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla.
3. In a larger bowl, sift together the flours, salt and baking powder and stir in the apple.
4. Mix the bran into the egg mixture, then briefly stir this into the dry ingredients. Divide the mixture into two. Briefly stir the raisins into one half, and the pecans into the other.
5. Put a heaped dessertspoonful of each mixture into the muffin holes so you get 6 of each flavour. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until risen and golden. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve the muffins warm or at room temperature.