- 1 large aubergine, cut into chunks
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp your favourite medium curry paste
- 150g dried red lentils
- 450ml vegetable stock
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Place 1 large aubergine, cut into chunks, and 1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced, in a shallow roasting tin. Drizzle with 3 tbsp vegetable oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp mild chilli powder. Stir well to coat, then bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, gently fry 1 onion, chopped, for 5 minutes, until soft. Add 1 tsp black mustard seeds and cook until they pop, then stir in 2 tbsp your favourite medium curry paste.
- Stir in 150g dried red lentils and 450ml vegetable stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in a handful chopped fresh coriander and the pepper and aubergine. Serve with warm naan bread.
- To cut down on the cooking time, use a can of green lentils and only a quarter of the vegetable stock. Add with the curry paste and simmer for about 5 minutes, until hot throughout.