4 225g thick cod fillets, skinned
Olive oil, for drizzling and greasing
75g fresh white breadcrumbs
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
25g butter, melted
(sh) For the tartare sauce
1 egg yolk
11/2 tsp white wine vinegar
11/2 tsp English mustard
150ml sunflower oil
2 tsp each finely chopped green olives, gherkins and capers
2 tsp chopped fresh chives
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C/ fan 210°C/gas 8. Make the tartare sauce. Put the egg yolk, vinegar, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a food processor and blend briefly. With the machine running, add the oil in a steady stream to make a thick mayonnaise. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the other ingredients.
2. Season the cod on both sides and lay skinned-side up on a well-oiled baking tray.
3. Put the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley, chives, garlic and seasoning into a bowl. Add the butter and stir well with a fork.
4. Divide the crumbs between the fillets and press on top of each piece in a thick, even layer. Drizzle over a little oil and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is crisp and lightly golden and the fish is cooked through. Lift onto warm plates and serve with the sauce, some sautéed potatoes and a green leaf salad.
- A light, crisp, faintly herby Italian white, like Soave.