- 15g butter, for greasing
- 100g hot smoked salmon, skinned (or use smoked salmon trimmings)
- Small bunch of fresh chives, finely chopped
- 142ml carton double cream
- 6 large eggs
- 25g Parmesan or Grana Padano, finely grated
- Hot buttered soldiers, to serve
- The night before, lightly grease 6 x 150ml ramekins with butter. Flake the salmon into the bottom of the ramekins. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon chives into each ramekin (keep the rest chilled), followed by 1 tablespoon of cream. Cover and chill overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5 and boil a kettle of water. Uncover the ramekins and place in a small roasting tin, then pour in the boiling water from the kettle to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Leave for 1 minute to warm up, then break an egg into each ramekin. Season lightly, divide the remaining cream between the ramekins and sprinkle with the remaining chives and the Parmesan or Grana Padano.
- Bake the eggs on the middle shelf of the oven for 15 minutes or until the whites are just set and the yolks still runny. Serve immediately, with hot buttered soldiers.
- For vegetarians, swap the salmon for 400g young leaf spinach, wilted and drained of excess liquid, and use vegetarian Parmesan.