- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 250g basmati rice
- 50g toasted flaked almonds
- 550ml chicken stock, hot
- 2 dried kaffir lime leaves (from Asian supermarkets, Waitrose or thaitaste.co.uk)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof sauté pan and soften the shallot for 5 minutes, allowing it to colour a little. Stir in the cumin seeds for the final minute. Stir through the rice and almonds.
- Pour over the stock, add the lime leaves, season, then bring to the boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid or foil. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes until the rice is tender and the stock absorbed. Adjust the seasoning. Keep covered until ready to serve.
- To freeze: spread the cooked rice on a baking tray to cool quickly, then freeze in a plastic container for up to 2 months. Defrost thoroughly and reheat until piping hot.