1 tbsp olive oil
500g beef mince
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 green peppers, roughly chopped
2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
1kg sweet potatoes, roughly chopped
150ml soured cream
Generous grating of whole nutmeg
½ x 283g jar balti paste (we like Patak’s)
410g can chickpeas, drained
Handful fresh coriander, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan, add the mince, onion, peppers and carrots and cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until just golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, boil the sweet potatoes in a pan of salted water for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain, then mash with the soured cream and grated nutmeg. Season well.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°c/fan180°c/gas 6. Stir the balti paste and 400ml water through the mince mix, add the chickpeas, sultanas and coriander and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Place in an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until piping hot.
- To freeze this dish, make the pie and freeze uncooked, wrapped in cling film then foil. Defrost fully before cooking.