450g floury potatoes, cubed
420g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
400g can lentils, drained and rinsed
1 small red onion, very finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
5 medium eggs
50g vegetarian Pecorino cheese, grated
Flour, for dusting
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until just cooked through. Drain well and set aside.
2. In a bowl, roughly mash the butter beans with the back of a fork. Tip in the cooked potato, lentils, onion and spices and roughly mash together. Add 1 beaten egg and the Pecorino. Season. Mix together using lightly floured hands, and shape into 4 large patties.
3. Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the patties to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until the underside is set and golden. Carefully flip over and cook for another 5 minutes until golden. Transfer to 4 plates and keep warm.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil in the pan. Crack in the remaining eggs and fry until the white is set and the yolk is hot but still runny. Top each patty with a fried egg and season. Serve with wild rocket leaves. This dish is fantastic with a splash of Tabasco sauce.
- This isn’t a wine-friendly dish, but it works well with a good refreshing draught of English ale – or a cup of tea.