- 3 tbsp brandy
- 100g soft, pitted prunes, halved
- 100g juicy sultanas
- 8 stale sourdough bread slices, crusts removed
- 300ml whole milk
- 50g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1 large free-range egg
- 100g soft dark brown sugar
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- ¼ tbsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Warm the brandy in a small pan. Add the prunes and sultanas, remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse.
- Break up the bread and mix it with the milk and butter in a bowl. Squash the bread between your fingers until all the milk has been absorbed. Beat in the egg, dark brown sugar, orange zest and nutmeg. Add the fruit and any brandy in the pan.
- Grease and line a 20cm round loose-bottomed sandwich tin with butter and baking paper. Press in the pudding and sprinkle the top with the caster sugar. Bake for 30 minutes or until just set in the middle and a little crunchy on top. Serve hot or pour on a little brandy and flambé it, Christmas pudding-style.
- Make it in a sandwich tin and serve pieces of it like pie.