4 tbsp olive oil
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, halved
300g basmati rice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
400g can black beans (also known as turtle beans), drained and rinsed
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Whizz 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the chilli and coriander to form a paste and mix with the breadcrumbs. Spread over the chicken pieces. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden and crispy.
2. Meanwhile, cook the rice in boiling salted water for 10-12 minutes, then drain. Set aside.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and add the garlic and lemon zest and gently fry for 30 seconds, then add the rice and black beans and stir-fry together for 5 minutes. Season and stir in the lemon juice. Serve the rice with the chicken.
- If you like Caribbean flavours, try these sticky chicken drumsticks. Season 12 drumsticks and bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes. Brush on a mixture of 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp honey. Put back into the oven and cook for 10-20 minutes until sticky and golden. Serve with the rice and beans from the Caribbean chicken recipe.
- This dish is great washed down with a cool lager but also makes a good partner with a juicy, full-flavoured Australian Chardonnay.