225g long grain rice
500g quick-frying beef steaks, cut into thin strips
1 tsp mixed peppercorns, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
150g closed cup mushrooms, wiped and halved
284ml carton soured cream
2 tsp paprika
1. Cook the rice according to packet instructions. Meanwhile, put the beef strips into a shallow dish, add the crushed peppercorns and toss to coat. Set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the sliced onion for 3-4 minutes or until soft but not coloured.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes. Increase the heat, add the beef strips and fry for 4-5 minutes or until the juices have evaporated and the meat is brown. Add 3 tablespoons water and bubble to deglaze the pan.
4. Stir in most of the soured cream and half the paprika, and gently heat until warmed through. Check the seasoning.
5. Spoon the beef stroganoff onto plates. Top with the remaining soured cream. Season with the remaining paprika and black pepper and serve with the rice.
- Wine note: Avoid heavy, tannic reds that will clash with the cream, and instead go for the juicy, light Pinot Noir grape. Chile has some well-priced Pinots.