- 12 Cumberland chipolata sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices fresh white bloomer bread
- Butter, softened, for spreading
- 8 slices mature Cheddar
- Few fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
- 4 tbsp chutney (we like Mrs Ball’s, from Sainsbury’s), to serve
- Keeping the chipolatas attached, lay them out in a long line, like a train. Snip them into 4 smaller trains of 3 chipolatas each. Take 1 pile and twirl the chipolatas round and into a pinwheel. Use 1-2 toothpicks to fix in place and repeat with the rest of the chipolatas to give 4 pinwheels.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chipolata pinwheels and cook for about 5 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Remove and discard the toothpicks.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high. Put the bread on a baking sheet and grill for about 1 minute or until toasted. Turn the bread over, spread each slice with butter and place a pinwheel on each. Layer the cheese on top and pop back under the grill for 1 minute, until the cheese begins to melt. Garnish with the thyme and serve with a dollop of chutney.
- You’ll need toothpicks to secure the chipolata pinwheels in place.