- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 15g butter
- 4 free-range, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 smoked thick-cut bacon or pancetta slices, cut into lardons
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 6 thick spring onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml red wine
- 400ml chicken stock, hot
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chilli chocolate sauce (from chillipepperpete.com)
- Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat the oil and butter in a large flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Season the chicken, add to the casserole and cook for about 5 minutes, until golden. Remove and set aside.
Add the bacon, celery and onions to the casserole and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Pour in the wine and bubble over a rapid heat for 2 minutes. Pour in the stock, tomatoes and the chilli chocolate sauce.
Return the chicken to the casserole, then cover and cook in the oven for 25 minutes. Put the casserole back on the hob over a medium heat and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, until the sauce is thickened. Season and sprinkle with the coriander. Serve with steamed rice and a green leaf and avocado salad.
- Chilli-obsessed Pete Seymour receives orders from all over the world, especially for the world’s hottest chilli, the Naga-bih Jolokia. Visit chillipepperpete.com.