- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 boneless chicken thighs, halved
- 100g chorizo, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 200g paella rice
- Pinch of saffron (optional)
- 100ml white wine
- 500ml hot stock or water
- 400g broad beans, blanched and peeled, if you prefer
- Heat the oil in a wide-bottomed pan and brown the chicken pieces all over. Remove and set aside.
- Add the chorizo and fry for about 1 minute. Stir in the onions, garlic, pepper and seasoning. Cover, lower the heat and ‘sweat’ for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Add the rice, saffron (if using) and wine. Stir and turn up the heat. Let the wine bubble fiercely for 2-3 minutes, add the stock and reduce the heat. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, then add the beans and cook for 5 minutes – the rice should be tender but with bite. Stir once and rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish this with a good handful of chopped fresh parsley or coriander.
- A fruity, ripe white, such as Chardonnay, or a light and smooth red Pinot Noir.