2 tbsp olive oil
6 boneless chicken thighs, halved
100g chorizo, diced
2 medium onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 green pepper, sliced
200g paella rice
Pinch of saffron (optional)
100ml white wine
500ml hot stock or water
400g broad beans, blanched and peeled, if you prefer
1. Heat the oil in a wide-bottomed pan and brown the chicken pieces all over. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the chorizo and fry for about 1 minute. Stir in the onions, garlic, pepper and seasoning. Cover, lower the heat and ‘sweat’ for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Return the chicken to the pan. Add the rice, saffron (if using) and wine. Stir and turn up the heat. Let the wine bubble fiercely for 2-3 minutes, add the stock and reduce the heat. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, then add the beans and cook for 5 minutes – the rice should be tender but with bite. Stir once and rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish this with a good handful of chopped fresh parsley or coriander.
- A fruity, ripe white, such as Chardonnay, or a light and smooth red Pinot Noir.