- 4 small skinless free-range chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 2 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g semolina
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 thick sourdough slices
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 little gem lettuce, leaves separated
- Pecorino shavings
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Place the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of cling film and, using a rolling pin, flatten until 1.5cm thick. Put the flour, eggs and semolina in 3 separate bowls. Coat each chicken piece in the seasoned flour, followed by the beaten egg, then the semolina.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a high heat. Fry the schnitzels – in batches if necessary – for 4-5 minutes, turning once, until golden and cooked through. Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise with the mustard and spread over the sourdough slices. Top with a few slices of tomato and lettuce leaves.
- Cut the cooked schnitzels in half and arrange 2 on top of each sourdough slice. Finish with pecorino shavings and serve with lemon wedges on the side.