150g glutinous rice flour, plus extra for dusting
30g soft brown sugar, dissolved in 50ml boiling water
3 chocolate chip cookies, crushed
1. To make the dough, place the rice flour into a bowl. Pour the dissolved sugar and hot water into the flour with 50ml cold water. Mix well, form into a dough and knead into a ball.
2. Dust a surface with extra rice flour and knead the dough for a few minutes, until smooth. Roll out into a rectangle, cut into 4 pieces, then roll these out, 1 at a time, and cut each into a further 3 pieces. Form these into small balls. Using your thumb or index finger, make an indent in each ball and place a Rolo in the centre. Cover it by pulling the dough over and wrapping the whole thing back into a ball.
3. Once all the balls have been made, put in a large bamboo steamer lined with baking paper. If you don’t have a bamboo steamer, put on a large plate lined with baking paper in a steamer or on a rack placed inside a covered wok that is quarter-filled with boiling water. Put the bamboo steamer over a pan of hot water and steam, covered, over a high heat for 10 minutes. Take a toothpick and pierce 1 of the dumplings. If it comes out clean, they’re cooked. The dumplings should turn bright white when cooked and have a chewy, sticky texture.
4. Turn off the heat, remove the dumplings and roll lightly in the crushed chocolate chip cookies. Serve 3 per person or in individual portions, depending on how hungry you are.
- Glutinous rice flour is great for those with wheat intolerance – 'glutinous' means it's sticky.