- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 200ml cider
- 150g button mushrooms, halved
- 4 tbsp double cream
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Baked potatoes, optional, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and gently fry the shallots for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the chicken and brown all over.
- Add the anchovy fillets and fry for a few minutes. Pour in the cider and cook for 10 minutes, until reduced.
- Meanwhile, melt a knob of butter in a pan and gently fry the mushrooms until tender. Stir in the double cream, lemon juice and parsley into the pan with the chicken and season.
- Add the mushrooms to the chicken and serve with baked potatoes.
- Omit the anchovies and add 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika and swap the cider for chicken stock. Add a splash of brandy with the cream to make a delicious chicken stroganoff.