375g pack all-butter ready-rolled puff pastry
400g fresh white crabmeat
1 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp crème fraîche
Good pinch of cayenne pepper
Juice of ½ lime
Handful of fresh dill, chopped, plus extra fronds to garnish
Knob of unsalted butter
24 raw king prawns, peeled
3 small ripe avocados, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Unroll the pastry on a baking sheet and prick all over with a fork. Place another heavy baking sheet on top and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and, using oven gloves, press down on the top baking sheet to help flatten the pastry. Return to the oven for 5-6 minutes more until golden brown. Slide onto a board and cool for 10 minutes before cutting into 8 squares. Set aside.
2. Mix the crabmeat with the mayonnaise, crème fraîche, cayenne pepper, lime juice and chopped dill. Season well and set aside.
3. Heat the butter in a frying pan over a high heat until foaming. Add the prawns and cook until they are pink and slightly golden, and cooked through. Set aside.
4. Divide the sliced avocado among the 8 pastry squares, then top with a dollop of the crab mixture and 3 of the warm prawns. Garnish with dill and serve immediately.
- This is an ideal Christmas lunch starter. Get ahead by baking the pastry squares and preparing the crab mixture in advance.
- Invest in an Australian Riesling to go with the tart, as a zesty lime flavour works a treat.