- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 400g good-quality pork sausagemeat or pork sausages, skins removed
- 100g fresh cranberries
- 100g dried apricots, finely chopped
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 8 fresh sage sprigs, finely chopped
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 5-8 minutes or until softened. Remove from the heat and tip into a mixing bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste. Mix well, you may find it easier to get your hands in so you can mix everything together. Roll into balls and lay on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover with cling film and freeze for a couple of hours until firm, then pop into freezer bags. Label and freeze for up to 1 month.
- To cook, preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Tip the frozen balls onto a greased baking tray and cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- This recipe would also work deliciously well with dried cranberries instead of fresh, and try swapping the apricots for dried prunes.
- If you want to use the stuffing mixture for the inside of the turkey, make sure you defrost the mixture thoroughly before using. Defrost completely overnight in the fridge.