- 125g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 250g dried ready-to-eat dates, chopped
- 250g self-raising flour
- 250g dark muscovado sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp oats
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a deep, non-stick baking tin (about 17.5 x 27 x 4cm deep).
- Pour 6 tablespoons boiling water over the dates. Leave for 5 minutes to soften, then whizz in a food processor to a rough paste.
- Sift the flour and sugar into a large bowl, add the butter, and rub in until just crumb-like. Tip half the mixture into another bowl and stir in the oats. Rub the remaining mixture until the crumbs are very fine, then stir in the cinnamon and egg to get a moist dough. Press this evenly into the base of the tin.
- Spread the date mixture over the base, then sprinkle over the oaty crumb mixture, pressing down lightly. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the topping is golden. Cool in the tin and cut into 21 squares to serve.