4 large potatoes
8 good-quality sausages from outdoor-reared pigs
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp paprika
400g can chopped tomatoes
400ml vegetable stock
1-2 bay leaves
1. Turn the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Peel the potatoes and carefully cut them in half, then into quarters. Peel the carrots and cut each carrot into about 4 or 5 even pieces.
2. Prick the sausages all over with a fork – this helps the fat to run out of the sausages, so that they don’t split open as they cook. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based casserole and fry the sausages, turning often, until lightly golden all over – this should take about 10 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pan and put them on a plate.
3. Add the chopped onion to the casserole (there will still be some oil in the pan from the sausages) and continue to cook over a low heat for 5-10 minutes, until the onion is slightly soft. Add the garlic and paprika and cook for another minute.
4. Add the chopped potatoes and carrots and stir everything around in the casserole so that the vegetables are coated with the oil.
5. Add the tomatoes and stock (to measure the stock, you can use the empty tomato can – filled up, it will hold 400ml of stock) and the bay leaves. Bring to a simmer (so it’s just bubbling gently). Return the sausages to the casserole.
6. Using your oven gloves, carefully put the casserole into the oven. Cook for 45 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through, and serve.