- 4 large potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 8 good-quality sausages from outdoor-reared pigs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Turn the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Peel the potatoes and carefully cut them in half, then into quarters. Peel the carrots and cut each carrot into about 4 or 5 even pieces.
- Prick the sausages all over with a fork – this helps the fat to run out of the sausages, so that they don’t split open as they cook. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based casserole and fry the sausages, turning often, until lightly golden all over – this should take about 10 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pan and put them on a plate.
- Add the chopped onion to the casserole (there will still be some oil in the pan from the sausages) and continue to cook over a low heat for 5-10 minutes, until the onion is slightly soft. Add the garlic and paprika and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped potatoes and carrots and stir everything around in the casserole so that the vegetables are coated with the oil.
- Add the tomatoes and stock (to measure the stock, you can use the empty tomato can – filled up, it will hold 400ml of stock) and the bay leaves. Bring to a simmer (so it’s just bubbling gently). Return the sausages to the casserole.
- Using your oven gloves, carefully put the casserole into the oven. Cook for 45 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through, and serve.