- 600g cooking apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 75g light muscovado sugar
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 100g self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4. Put the apples in a large bowl and toss with the sugar, lemon zest and juice and the cinnamon. Transfer to a round, 2-litre ovenproof dish and set aside until needed.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing after each addition. Mix in the vanilla, then sift in the flour and gently mix to make a dropping consistency.
- Spread the mixture over the apples and bake for 40 minutes or until the topping is cooked through and golden. Sprinkle with extra caster sugar and serve with custard.
- Freeze it: Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly before reheating at 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 for 8-10 minutes.