- 1kg floury potatoes, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150g plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 700g white fish
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 lemon, zested then chopped into wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. In a pan of simmering salted water cook the potatoes for 2-3 minutes, until parboiled. Drain, shake well and mix with the vegetable oil and some sea salt in a roasting tin. Roast for 45 minutes, until golden and very crispy.
- Meanwhile, put the flour in a dish. Place the beaten eggs in another dish and breadcrumbs mixed with the 2 tbsp of the dill in a third. Cut the fish fillets into fingers and dip each in the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in turn and place on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the capers, lemon zest and remaining dill in a bowl. Season and chill.
- Heat a good layer of vegetable oil in a pan and fry the fish fingers for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden and cooked through. Serve with the potatoes, sauce and lemon wedges.