- 5 or 6 large waxy potatoes (we used charlotte potatoes)
- 3 parsnips, peeled
- Goose fat or olive oil for frying
- Put the whole potatoes and parsnips in a large pan of cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes until just tender but still firm. Drain, then set aside to cool completely before chilling in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Coarsely grate the potatoes and parsnips, then season well. Set a 25-28cm non-stick frying pan over a high heat and add a good amount of the goose fat/olive oil. When really hot, spread the grated vegetables evenly in the pan, then lightly press down with the back of a spatula. Cook over a low heat for 5-6 minutes, then invert the rösti onto a large flat plate so the golden side is uppermost.
- Heat some more fat or oil in the pan, then slide the rösti back into the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes. Serve straightaway.