This green tea ice cream recipe is a lovely colour, has a delicate flavour, and is perfect with tropical fruits.
- 500ml full-fat milk
- 100ml double cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 100g sugar
- 10g green tea powder (see Tip)
- Tropical fruits, such as sliced mango and dragon fruit, to serve
- 1. Put the milk and cream in a pan over a medium heat and bring just to the boil. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, cream together the egg yolks, sugar and green tea for a few minutes, until thickened. Gradually pour in the hot milk mixture, stirring.
- 2. Pour the mixture back into the pan over a medium-low heat and cook, stirring, for 10-12 minutes, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not overheat as it may curdle. Sieve into a clean bowl and cool.
- 3. Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker until frozen, then freeze until serving. Alternatively, pour into a freezerproof container, freeze for 2 hours then whizz in a processor until smooth. Freeze and repeat 3-4 times, until smooth, then freeze until serving. Serve scoops of ice cream with sliced tropical fruits.
Per serving: 394kcals, 22.6g fat (12.7g saturated), 7.2g protein, 42.9g carbs, 42.9g sugar, 0.2g salt
Green tea powder can be bought from the Japan Centre, 212 Piccadilly, London W1J 9HX. If you’re not in London, Japan Centre has a good website, visit (japancentre.com) for mail order.