- 500ml full-fat milk
- 100ml double cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 100g sugar
- 10g green tea powder (see Tip)
- Tropical fruits, such as sliced mango and dragon fruit, to serve
- Put the milk and cream in a pan over a medium heat and bring just to the boil. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, cream together the egg yolks, sugar and green tea for a few minutes, until thickened. Gradually pour in the hot milk mixture, stirring.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan over a medium-low heat and cook, stirring, for 10-12 minutes, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not overheat as it may curdle. Sieve into a clean bowl and cool.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker until frozen, then freeze until serving. Alternatively, pour into a freezerproof container, freeze for 2 hours then whizz in a processor until smooth. Freeze and repeat 3-4 times, until smooth, then freeze until serving. Serve scoops of ice cream with sliced tropical fruits.
- Green tea powder can be bought from the Japan Centre, 212 Piccadilly, London W1J 9HX. If you’re not in London, Japan Centre has a good website, visit (japancentre.com) for mail order.