4 medium potatoes, about 600g
2 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, finely sliced
2 large or 4 small gherkins, rinsed and chopped
125g light mayonnaise
1 lemon, halved
3 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 plaice fillets, skin on
2 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
Handful parsley, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Cut the potatoes into even-sized wedges. Toss in the oil and a little sea salt. Place in a single layer on a rack resting over a roasting tin. Roast for 25 minutes, turn over and roast for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
2. Meanwhile, put the shallots, gherkin and mayonnaise into a bowl. Mix together, add a squeeze of lemon and season to taste. Cut the remaining lemon half into wedges and put aside.
3. Press each side of the plaice fillets into the seasoned flour, then shake off any excess. Heat 15g of the butter in a non-stick frying pan until foaming. Add the fish skin-side up, and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden. Turn over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until cooked. Put on 2 warmed plates.
4. Wipe out the pan. Melt the remaining butter and cook until lightly golden. Remove from the heat, add the capers and parsley. Season and spoon over the fish. Serve with the wedges, tartare sauce and lemon.
- Something light, fresh and lemony, such as Muscadet.