- 500g haloumi, cut into 2cm chunks
- Pinch saffron strands
- 6 large red chillies, deseeded and quartered lengthways
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 120ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 240g bulgur wheat, rinsed
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 40ml sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp black onion seeds or kalonji seeds (from ASDA and Waitrose)
- Handful rocket leaves
- Light/preheat the barbecue and soak 6-8 wooden skewers in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Place the haloumi, saffron, chillies, tomatoes and oil in a bowl. Season, cover and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the bulgur wheat in a bowl, pour over boiling water, cover with cling film, leave for 20 minutes, then fluff up with a fork.
- Drain off the excess oil (reserving it in a jug) from the haloumi mixture, then thread the haloumi, chillies and tomatoes onto the skewers and barbecue for 2 minutes each side.
- Add the capers, vinegar and onion seeds to the reserved oil and mix well. Stir a few spoonfuls of dressing into the bulgur wheat, then add the rocket.
- Divide the salad among plates and top with the barbecued haloumi, tomatoes and chilli. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, then serve.
- This is surprisingly good with a bone-dry fino sherry, or go for a pale, young Provençal rosé.