500g haloumi, cut into 2cm chunks
Pinch saffron strands
6 large red chillies, deseeded and quartered lengthways
200g cherry tomatoes
120ml extra-virgin olive oil
240g bulgur wheat, rinsed
2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
40ml sherry vinegar
1 tbsp black onion seeds or kalonji seeds (from ASDA and Waitrose)
Handful rocket leaves
1. Light/preheat the barbecue and soak 6-8 wooden skewers in warm water for 30 minutes.
2. Place the haloumi, saffron, chillies, tomatoes and oil in a bowl. Season, cover and set aside for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the bulgur wheat in a bowl, pour over boiling water, cover with cling film, leave for 20 minutes, then fluff up with a fork.
4. Drain off the excess oil (reserving it in a jug) from the haloumi mixture, then thread the haloumi, chillies and tomatoes onto the skewers and barbecue for 2 minutes each side.
5. Add the capers, vinegar and onion seeds to the reserved oil and mix well. Stir a few spoonfuls of dressing into the bulgur wheat, then add the rocket.
6. Divide the salad among plates and top with the barbecued haloumi, tomatoes and chilli. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, then serve.
- This is surprisingly good with a bone-dry fino sherry, or go for a pale, young Provençal rosé.