- 300g gammon steak, trimmed of fat and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 30g butter
- 3 medium leeks, washed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp shredded fresh sage
- 350g dried macaroni or other small pasta shapes
- 1.2 litres chicken or vegetable stock, hot
- In a large frying pan, sauté the gammon in the oil and butter until golden. Reduce the heat slightly and add the leeks. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and sage, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the pasta and keep stirring around for 1-2 minutes, then pour in enough stock to just cover the pasta. Cover and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes, stirring and adding more stock as the pasta absorbs it, until it's al dente. Season and serve.
- Vegetarians, replace the gammon with 300g frozen Quorn pieces, thawed, and follow the recipe as normal.
- You can freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw but only reheat the pasta for 5 minutes so it’s not overcooked.