- 400g dried spaghetti
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 rashers back bacon, rind and fat removed, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, lightly squashed
- 3 medium free-range egg yolks
- 5 tbsp low-fat fromage frais
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- ½ tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions (normally 10-12 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in another large frying pan, heat the oil and fry the bacon with the squashed garlic clove, until the bacon starts to brown. Remove the garlic clove from the pan with
- a slotted spoon and discard. Turn the heat off but keep the pan warm until the spaghetti is cooked.
- While the bacon is cooking, mix together the egg yolks, fromage frais, half the Parmesan, the parsley and some seasoning in a bowl.
- Using tongs, transfer the cooked, drained spaghetti to the pan with the still-warm bacon. Pour in the egg mixture, moving the spaghetti with the tongs to coat the pasta and thicken the egg mixture.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if need be, then serve the spaghetti carbonara sprinkled with the remaining grated Parmesan.
- Please note: contains raw egg. For a more authentic dish, use pancetta instead of bacon. Wholewheat pasta will increase the dish’s fibre content.