400g dried spaghetti
2 tsp olive oil
6 rashers back bacon, rind and fat removed, chopped
1 garlic clove, lightly squashed
3 medium free-range egg yolks
5 tbsp low-fat fromage frais
50g Parmesan, grated
½ tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions (normally 10-12 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, in another large frying pan, heat the oil and fry the bacon with the squashed garlic clove, until the bacon starts to brown. Remove the garlic clove from the pan with
a slotted spoon and discard. Turn the heat off but keep the pan warm until the spaghetti is cooked.
3. While the bacon is cooking, mix together the egg yolks, fromage frais, half the Parmesan, the parsley and some seasoning in a bowl.
4. Using tongs, transfer the cooked, drained spaghetti to the pan with the still-warm bacon. Pour in the egg mixture, moving the spaghetti with the tongs to coat the pasta and thicken the egg mixture.
5. Taste and adjust the seasoning if need be, then serve the spaghetti carbonara sprinkled with the remaining grated Parmesan.
- Please note: contains raw egg. For a more authentic dish, use pancetta instead of bacon. Wholewheat pasta will increase the dish’s fibre content.