- 7 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 plump garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 410g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 plump tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion, garlic, celery and red chilli gently over a low heat for 6-8 minutes until softened. Stir in the oregano and all the beans and heat gently for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Stir in the tomatoes and parsley. Whisk the remaining olive oil with the lemon juice and season well. Just before serving, pour over the bean mixture and toss well.
- This is fantastic with a fruity, slightly tart Sauvignon Blanc from Chile.