- 500g lamb mince
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 40g fresh breadcrumbs
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus a squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 200ml Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 4 pitta breads, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. In a large bowl, put the lamb, anchovies, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, half the garlic, and half the chopped parsley, and mix well together using your hands.
- Season well, then shape into 20 balls. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the meatballs, in batches, and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning, until browned all over. Transfer to a roasting tin and roast for a further 10 minutes.
- Soften the onion by soaking in a bowl of boiling water for a few minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water. In a bowl, mix with the olive oil, lemon juice and remaining parsley.
- In a bowl, mix the yogurt with the remaining garlic and mint and season to taste. Serve the meatballs and red onions in toasted pittas and accompany with the minty dressing.
- TO FREEZE: Arrange the raw, shaped meatballs in layers, separated by baking paper, in a rigid freezerproof container. Freeze the meatballs for up to 3 months. Defrost fully before continuing with the recipe.