500g lamb mince
3 anchovy fillets, chopped
40g fresh breadcrumbs
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus a squeeze of lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
200ml Greek yogurt
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
4 pitta breads, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. In a large bowl, put the lamb, anchovies, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, half the garlic, and half the chopped parsley, and mix well together using your hands.
2. Season well, then shape into 20 balls. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the meatballs, in batches, and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning, until browned all over. Transfer to a roasting tin and roast for a further 10 minutes.
3. Soften the onion by soaking in a bowl of boiling water for a few minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water. In a bowl, mix with the olive oil, lemon juice and remaining parsley.
4. In a bowl, mix the yogurt with the remaining garlic and mint and season to taste. Serve the meatballs and red onions in toasted pittas and accompany with the minty dressing.
- TO FREEZE: Arrange the raw, shaped meatballs in layers, separated by baking paper, in a rigid freezerproof container. Freeze the meatballs for up to 3 months. Defrost fully before continuing with the recipe.