350g yellow split peas, rinsed
2 tbsp cumin seeds
250ml natural yogurt
Bunch fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
8 lamb loin chops, seasoned
2 red onions, sliced
4 tbsp mango chutney
1. Add the split peas to a large pan of water, bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes until tender.
2. Meanwhile, toast the cumin seeds in a frying pan for 1 minute until fragrant. Drain the split peas and stir in the yogurt, cumin seeds, coriander and some seasoning. Keep warm.
3. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat, add the chops (in batches if need be) and fry for 4 minutes each side. Remove from the pan and rest.
4. Add the remaining oil and onion to the pan, and soften over a medium-low heat for 8 minutes until starting to colour, then turn up the heat, add the chutney, and allow to caramelise.
5. Serve the split peas with the chops, and top with the caramelised onions.
- Use green lentils instead of the yellow split peas if that's all you have in store.