- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 leeks, washed and finely chopped
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- 200g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 150g mature Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the leeks and cook until softened. Add the chilli (if using), then tip into a bowl. Add 150g of the breadcrumbs, the cheese, mustard, chives and 2 eggs. Mix together well, season, then put the bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Put the remaining egg in another shallow dish, and beat it with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into 8 sausage shapes, then dip first in the egg before rolling in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the sausages for 10 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve with chutney and a crunchy salad.
- Put the uncooked sausages on a lined tray and open-freeze until solid. Transfer to a freezerproof container in between layers of baking paper and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost before cooking.