12 (about 430g) best-quality beef meatballs
1 tablespoon olive oil
200g ready-diced onion (or 1 large chopped onion) 250g risotto rice
1.2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
400g can chopped tomatoes with herbs
50g grated Grana Padano or Parmesan
1. In a large frying pan, quickly brown 12 (about 430g) best-quality beef meatballs all over in 1 tablespoon olive oil for about 2 minutes until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add 200g ready-diced onion (or 1 large chopped onion) to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
3. Add 250g risotto rice and cook for a further 1 minute. Pour in 1.2 litres chicken or vegetable stock and a 400g can chopped tomatoes with herbs. Bring to the boil, then cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
4. Add the meatballs and simmer for another 5 minutes, adding a little more stock if the rice isn’t soupy enough.
5. Stir in 50g grated Grana Padano or Parmesan and serve in warmed bowls, with soup spoons and some extra grated cheese, to sprinkle over.