- Good knob of butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 300g risotto rice
- 175ml dry white wine
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock, hot, plus any shredded meat from the wing bones and carcass left over from making the stock
- 200g frozen peas, defrosted
- 75g grana padano, finely grated
- Melt the butter with the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes until softened a bit. Add the risotto rice and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring, then add the wine and bubble until absorbed.
- Season well, then gradually add the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring after each addition until the liquid has been fully absorbed before adding the next ladleful. Add the shredded chicken (if using) after 10 minutes. Once the rice is cooked (after about 20 minutes) you should have a soupy-looking risotto. Stir in the peas and cheese, then cover and leave to stand for 2 minutes before serving.
- NEXT TIME: Add the grated zest of 1 lemon to the rice along with the peas. Asparagus tips would also be wonderful when in season.