- 125g plain flour
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 275ml-300ml semi-skimmed milk
- Vegetable or sunflower oil, for frying
- To make the batter, sift the flour with a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, pour in the egg and slowly whisk in enough milk to make a smooth batter, the consistency of pouring cream. Rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat about a 28cm crepe pan or a smaller heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, dip some kitchen paper in the oil and wipe across the surface of the pan. Add a small ladleful of batter and tilt the pan to swirl the batter evenly and thinly. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the pancake is golden underneath.
- Loosen all around the pancake with a palette knife. Flip over and cook for a further minute, until golden. Slide out onto a plate and repeat to finish up the batter – oil the pan between each pancake.
- Serve the pancakes with lemon wedges to squeeze over and sprinkle with caster sugar.