50g goose fat, beef dripping or olive oil if you are vegetarian
700g large floury potatoes, such as King Edward or Maris Piper, peeled and quartered
Handful of fresh rosemary sprigs
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Put the fat, dripping or olive oil in a large roasting tin and pop in the oven to get really hot.
2. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a pan of cold, salted water, bring to the boil then cook for 6 minutes. Drain well, then shake gently in the pan to slightly rough up the potatoes – this helps them become nice and crisp in the oven.
3. Carefully tip the potatoes into the roasting tin, coat in the hot fat and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Roast in the oven for 1 hour, turning each potato over halfway through cooking, or until crisp and golden all over.
4. About 15 minutes before the end of cooking, scatter the rosemary sprigs over the roasted potatoes.
5. Serve immediately, sprinkled with a little extra sea salt if you like. Or try one of our delicious variations below.