200g fresh basil leaves, plus extra to serve
200g toasted pine nuts, plus extra to serve
3 garlic cloves, chopped roughly
200ml fruity extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tbsp
100g vegetarian Parmesan, finely grated, plus extra to serve
250g tub ricotta, drained
1 tsp salt
24 fresh lasagne sheets
1. Put the basil, pine nuts, garlic, a good pinch of salt and 200ml olive oil into a food processor and pulse to give a uniform and creamy consistency. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the Parmesan and ricotta.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Bring a large pan of water to the boil, then add the salt and extra oil. Boil the lasagne, 6 sheets at a time, for 2 minutes. Lift out each batch with a slotted spoon and set aside. Reserve a little pasta water.
3. Loosen the pesto with a little of the pasta cooking water. Spread a couple of tablespoons of pesto in the base of a deep 1-litre ovenproof dish. Arrange 4 lasagne sheets on top and spread with more pesto. Repeat 5 times, finishing with a layer of pesto. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through and hot.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle the lasagne with the extra Parmesan and grill for a few minutes, until golden. Cut into wedges and serve garnished with a scattering of toasted pine nuts, the extra basil leaves and a green salad.
- Switch to a dry, herbaceous white such as Vernaccia, or southern Italian Greco di Tufo.