- 500g block puff pastry
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
For the filling
- 450g sausagemeat
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 50ml real ale
- 6 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped, plus 28 small leaves for decorating
- Small handful fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves finely chopped
- 1 eating apple, cored and grated
- In a big bowl, mix the filling ingredients with your hands. Season; chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut the pastry in half and roll out each half on a lightly floured surface to a 42cm x 10cm rectangle. Divide the sausagemeat in half, roll each portion into a 42cm-long log and lay along the middle of each pastry strip. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little egg, then fold over to enclose the sausagemeat, and seal well. Chill for 10 minutes, then, using a sharp knife, cut each log into 14 pieces, and place on a baking tray. Brush all over with egg, and top each with a small sage leaf.
- Open-freeze, then layer in a freezerproof container or bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Bake from frozen on a baking tray for 15 minutes until puffed, golden and cooked through. Serve warm.