- Large handful fresh basil
- 1 large lemon
- 4 pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 50g butter, softened
- 4 salmon steaks, about 175g each
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Roughly chop the basil and put into a large bowl. Grate the zest of 1/2 lemon and add to the bowl with the black olives. Add the butter and beat well with a wooden spoon until mixed. Put aside.
- Put the salmon steaks into an ovenproof dish large enough to fit the salmon in a single layer. Score the zest of the remaining 1/2 lemon with a canelle knife. You don’t have to do this but it looks pretty. Cut 4 slices from the half of lemon you have just ‘canelled’ and place one on top of each steak. Divide the olive butter into 4 and spoon on top of each lemon slice. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 12 minutes until just tender.
- Divide the salmon between plates and spoon over the melted butter. Season and serve with cooked new potatoes and steamed and sliced baby leeks.
- A truly wine-friendly recipe that’s best with a glass of chilled, young Chablis.