30g dried porcini mushrooms
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 small onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 x 400g packs pork sausages
250g good-quality chicken livers, trimmed and finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
3 tbsp tomato purée
150ml chicken stock
300g (12 sheets) fresh egg lasagne
350g tub fresh tomato and mascarpone sauce
Butter, for greasing
50g Parmesan, finely grated
Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
1. Soak the mushrooms in 200ml hot water. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and garlic and cook gently for 10 minutes, until soft and lightly browned. Meanwhile, skin the sausages and break the meat into small pieces. Add to the pan and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as it browns. Add the chicken livers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain the mushrooms, reserving the liquid, and chop finely. Add to the pan with the thyme and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato purée, reserved mushroom liquid and stock and simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened.
2. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Drop in the lasagne sheets, take the pan off the heat and leave to soak for 5 minutes. Drain, refresh under cold water, then separate the sheets.
3. Spoon a thin layer of the tomato sauce over the base of 2 buttered 20cm x 30cm ovenproof dishes. Spoon filling along 1 short edge of each lasagne sheet and roll up. Put, seam-side down, on the sauce. Spoon over the remaining sauce and scatter with the Parmesan.
4. To freeze, cool 1 dish, then wrap in cling film. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw for 24 hours in the fridge, then bring up to room temperature.
5. To cook, preheat the oven to 200°C/ fan180°C/gas 6. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve scattered with basil leaves.