- 40g unsalted butter
- 10 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
- 75ml double cream
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp chopped fresh curly parsley
- 4 slices of rustic bread, preferably sourdough, toasted and buttered
- Bunch of asparagus, trimmed and blanched until just tender (optional)
- Melt the butter in a small pan until it fizzes at the edges, then add the anchovies and cream. Take off the heat immediately and set aside to infuse for about 10 minutes. This allows the anchovies to dissolve in the butter without frying, which can make them bitter.
- Return the pan to the heat, pour in the eggs and cook, stirring, until the eggs start to set.
- Fold in the chopped parsley and some salt and pepper to taste. Serve over hot buttered toast, topped with the warm, slightly al dente asparagus spears (if using).