- 200g plain flour
- 1 tbsp celery salt
- A good grinding of black pepper
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 8 free-range chicken thighs and drumsticks
- Coleslaw, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/ gas 7. Sift the flour into a bowl, add celery salt, black pepper, hot paprika, sweet smoked paprika and English mustard powder. Beat 2 eggs in a separate bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan, until very hot. Dip the chicken thighs and drumsticks in the flour mixture, then in the egg, then in the flour mixture again.
- Fry in batches, until golden brown all over, then bake for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with coleslaw.
- Make a quick coleslaw by combining finely shredded red cabbage, grated carrot and some grated apple. Mix with mayonnaise, a dollop of Dijon mustard and season well.