- 1 large (1.6kg) free-range chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
For the tomato salad
- 300g ciabatta, torn into chunks
- 400g mixed tomatoes, quartered (small ones halved)
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 150g pitted black olives
- ½ cucumber, deseeded and chopped
- 100g small capers
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Small handful fresh marjoram or fresh oregano, chopped
- Small handful fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Take the chicken and cut down the length of the backbone using heavy scissors, then turn over and flatten using your hands. To make the marinade, mix the garlic, chilli, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil in a small bowl. Season well.
- Place the chicken, skin-side up, in a roasting tin and brush all over with half the marinade. Roast for about 50 minutes until browned and cooked through, brushing with the remaining marinade after 15 and 30 minutes.
- For the salad, place the ciabatta and tomatoes in a large bowl with the onion, olives, cucumber, capers and vinegar. Season, mix well, then add the extra-virgin olive oil and herbs. Toss well and stand for 20 minutes before serving with the chicken.
- The slight sweetness of Vouvray goes brilliantly with the chilli and chicken – Fifteen Cornwall serves Domaine Huet Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu 2003, available at thewinesociety.com.