This recipe combines roast beetroot, red peppers, potatoes and coriander with a lovely piece of spiced roast beef fillet.
- 10 fresh curry leaves, chopped
- 11/2 tbsp garam masala
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 750g piece beef fillet
- 8 ready-cooked and peeled beetroot (not in vinegar), drained and cut into eighths
- 4 large red peppers, deseeded and cut into large pieces
- 6 large potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1. In a bowl, mix together the curry leaves, garam masala, ginger, garlic, lime zest and juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Brush the marinade all over the beef, wrap in cling film and set aside for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Arrange the beetroot, peppers and potatoes in a large non-stick roasting tray, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss to coat. Set aside.
- 3. Heat a heavy-based pan until really hot, add the remaining oil and sear each side of the beef for 1 minute, until brown. Make a gap in the centre of the vegetables and sit the beef in the middle.
- 4. Roast the beef for 30 minutes for medium-rare or 35 minutes for medium. Remove the beef from the roasting tray, loosely cover with foil and set aside to rest.
- 5. Stir the vegetables and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes or until golden and starting to char. Spoon the beetroot, peppers and potatoes onto a platter, along with all the juices from the rested beef, then stir in the coriander.
- 6. Carve the beef into slices and place on a platter. Serve with the roasted vegetables and the salad.
Per serving: 460kcals, 16g fat (4.7g saturated), 33.7g protein, 48g carbs, 13.5g sugar, 0.4g salt
If you can’t find fresh curry leaves (from some large Tesco stores or Asian grocers), use dried.
Wine note: The ideal wine for the savoury dishes is a wonderfully soft, smooth juicy red. Pick a ripe Pinot Noir, ideally from California or New Zealand, with plenty of strawberry and cherry flavours.