400g pork sausages
1 large red onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
150ml red wine
400g can chopped tomatoes
Pinch of caster sugar
Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
Parmesan shavings, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put the sausages in a roasting tin and roast for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Remove and slice on the diagonal.
2. In a frying pan, fry the onion in the oil until soft. Season. Add the garlic and chilli and fry for 1 minute.
3. Add the sausage and wine. Bubble over a high heat for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and sugar, bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring, until thick. Season.
4. Meanwhile, cook the penne in a large pan of salted boiling water until al dente, then drain.
5. Divide the penne among bowls, then spoon the sauce over. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan to serve.